[TxMt] Re: TextMate Code Completion

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 6 23:39:00 UTC 2006

Brian Landau wrote:
> On 12/6/06, thomas Aylott <oblivious at subtlegradient.com> wrote:
>> In light of the recent C Library bundle, it's obvious that people re
>> extremely interested in having some code completion in TextMate.
 >
 > Is there any documentation available on how one is to make code
 > completion part of a bundle?

Nope.  That's the reason to make some generic libraries for it which
could be used by multiple languages.  The current method has everyone
re-inventing the wheel, and copying existing things to make new ones.

Thomas:
I think that's an absolutely wonderful idea; why don't we use this
thread to gather the use cases (i.e. all the forms that such completion
can take, for different languages, etc. so we can make this work for
everyone).

For C, there's some generic set of functions that should be included
(probably similar to those in the "C Library" bundle, but I would also
like to support arbitrary header files sourced in the current file.  The
snippets inserted by the "C Library" bundle do just about what they
should do, but of course, we should be able to complete before typing
the full function name.  Also, ordering the list will be a bit tricky.
I don't think it should just be alphabetical; for instance, functions
already used in the current document should come sooner than others.

For python, it would be great if we could get the whole standard
library, though it's going to be a bit tricky, given how imported
modules can be renamed, etc.

-Jacob