[TxMt] A Unified build/run tool

Mikael Säker mikael at sicher.org
Sat Aug 26 14:01:10 UTC 2006

There's an initiative to unify the web preview output of all
different run tools (RubyMate, PyMate etc) and this is fine and
dandy. However, I've been thinking about going a step further and
creating a generic "RunMate" that can be configured to capture output
and do the stuff the other "Mates" are capable of.

So attached is a draft version of such a tool called "RunMate.rb".
Just drop it in Library/Application Support/TextMate/Support/Bin or
where you keep your custom stuff.

It's used by specifying the following arguments:

--format=[fmt] 	(fmt can be "gcc", "ruby", "javac" or "haxe" at the
moment).
--ant			(strips the stuff ant adds to its subtools' output)
--run=[cmd]		(run the specified command and capture its output.
STDERR and STDOUT are caught automatically)

So, here's how a java ANT build could look like: RunMate.rb --
format=javac --ant --run="ant -s build.xml"

And a ruby run thing: RunMate.rb --format=ruby --run="ruby
\"$TM_FILEPATH\""

I don't know if you believe going forward with this is a worthwhile
effort so please give comments and suggestions.

--
Mikael Säker <mikael at sicher.org>
http://www.sicher.org

"Strangers have the best candy."