[TxMt] Re: Using an alternate Python?

Steve Lianoglou lists at arachnedesign.net
Sat Aug 19 19:09:26 UTC 2006

Sorry for a slightly off topic post to this list, but it is relevant
in the grand scheme of things...

On Aug 19, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Jacob Rus wrote:

> Actually, you should probably get the [universal python][1],
> instead of the one from Fink.  It is most up-to-date, most
> optimized, and has the most testing of external packages, etc.
> (several of which are available from that same page).  If you do
> get it, then AFAIK there is no reason to use pythonw, as it is a
> symlink to python.

Does that MacPython package still Seg Fault when navigating through a
"prefixed" command history?

For instance, say you're in the python shell and you type:

matrix =

then hit up-arrow to get commands from your history that started with
that "matrix =" prefix. When I would find one, then hit down arrow
I'd get a seg fault. Maybe it happened when I didn't find a
completion ... perhaps both, sorry, it's been a while.

After some googling, I found others had problems with it in their
compiled pythons and the culprit was the readline package -- which
needed to be patched. Installing python + readline via darwinports
has worked out well for me so far.

Just curious if this is still (ever?) happening to those people using
the MacPython package?

-steve