[TxMt] spaces in parentheses

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Tue Aug 15 19:03:13 UTC 2006

When coding, I prefer to have things like this:

something( "blah" );

Rather than:

something("blah");

To accomplish this, I had created a scope called "meta.parentheses"
which only applied if the cursor was between empty matching
parentheses. I then had a snippet, with the spacebar as the key
equivalent and meta.parentheses as the scope, that would insert
[space]$0[space]. This made the spacebar behave normally inside
parentheses unless they were empty, which is what I wanted.

The problem: I noticed this morning that by adding the
"meta.parentheses" scope to a particular Language Grammar, I wasn't
getting updates for that language (my local modified copy taking
precedence).

Now, I probably set this up prior to when TextMate started storing
things as deltas. Is it possible that if I duplicate the change, I
will still see updates to the grammar in the future with my delta
applied?

Or perhaps a better question: I had added my new scope to the PHP
grammar, but I'd really like the behavior in all "text" and "source"
contexts. My searching of the archives led me to some discussions of
applying a snippet to all scopes, but how can I add a scope to all
languages (without missing out on updates)?

Thanks.

Rob