[TxMt] Re: MediaWiki viewer

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 14 15:45:43 UTC 2006

José Campos wrote:
> Jacob Rus <jrus at hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> If you check the mediawiki bundle out from the subversion repository
>> (look up bundles in the manual), there is now a mediawiki language
>> grammar.
>
>     Thanks Jacob. I'm not that skilled to manage subversion, so I just
> installed the bundle manually. Works fine, nice job indeed. The only
> thing I miss is a "Preview" button, to see the result when working
> off-line.

It's not really possible to do a preview button for mediawiki.  The
"parser" is a few thousand lines of ugly PHP script which is completely
tied into the rest of the program, not to mention that we need to do
things such as template expansion, etc. which can completely change the
appearance of text on the page, because templates can include tags which
style the text between them, etc.

So, if you want a preview when working offline, pretty much the only
solution is to clone the mediawiki site you're editing :p.  I'm working
on making some slick solutions when you're *online* though.

-Jacob