[TxMt] Suggestions from a newbie

Brad Choate bchoate at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 23:48:13 UTC 2006

Some of these have been mentioned, so I'm repeating a bit here, but ...

On Aug 11, 2006, at 4:04 PM, William Uther wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm just in the process of switching from BBedit...  TextMate is
> a great combination of Mac UI and Unix power :).  There are a few
> things I've found that could be improved:
>
>   i) Having all the commands in bundles can make it quite tricky to
> find things.  Not sure how to improve this.  I almost want an
> obvious 'search all commands' command.

That's Ctrl+Cmd+T -- or Bundles -> Select Bundle Item... (as James
pointed out)

>     While browsing the list, I noticed someone else's feature
> request for a 'what does this key combo do' feature.  I'd like to
> second that.  And add a request for an 'open a window with a list
> of all current key combos' feature.

Ctrl+Option+Cmd+K (Bundles -> TextMate -> Show Keyboard Shortcuts

>   ii) I'm used to having a shell open.  As I move around I might
> want to either open files in TextMate from the shell, or do
> something in the shell to a file that is open in TextMate.  This
> leads to two strangenesses:
>       - If you use the 'mate' command in the shell to open a file,
> then the file doesn't get added to the "Open Recent >" menu.  I
> think it should (perhaps as an option to 'mate', or a preference).

mate -r <filename>

(Jeff already described how to make this the default behavior)

>       - If I already have a shell open, I want to drag the document
> icon in the window title bar to the shell to get the path to the
> document (as you can in the finder with folders).  Now, I can open
> a new shell with in the same directory, and I could make a command
> to copy the path to the current file.  I'd kinda like the drag-and-
> drop OUT of textmate option though.  (N.B. you can do this with
> icons in a project.  You just can't do it with an individual file's
> icon.)

You can drag the document icon from the window title bar... but the
file must be saved to do so (if you have unsaved changes, the file
cannot be dragged-- this is consistent with other apps, not a
TextMate limitation).

>   iii) While looking for a solution to the 'drag out of textmate'
> problem, I searched the list and found that I could drag out of a
> project.  But I already had the file I wanted to edit open.  I
> didn't have a shell in that dir (so I couldn't 'mate .') and I
> didn't have a Finder window in that dir any more.  I couldn't find
> a way to 'make a new project with a currently open file'.  I'm sure
> I could make a new command to do this pretty quickly, but it seems
> like something that should already be there, somewhere.

Save the file; create a new project; drag the file's icon from the
titlebar into the project drawer; close the original file. But yes, I
can see how it would be nice to be able to do that in one step.

-Brad