[TxMt] Simple bundle help

Tom Armitage tom.armitage at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 10:13:22 UTC 2006

Cool. That sounds like enough to work with :)

The biggest thing to get your head around is "scope". The easiest way
to explain that is that it's a bit like how CSS rules apply to html.
Pres ctrl+shift+p at any point in your document, and the current scope
will pop up. Often, there are several.

You've got two options: either make TextMate know that when it's
inside a taglib, that's a new scope, or, alternatively, just extend
HTML.

I'd suggest looking at the RHTML/Rails/Ruby/HTML grammars. What
happens there is that RHTML has a tiny rule to say "if you're inside
these kinds of brackets, you're in my templating langauge, and that's
just Ruby/Rails" so it imports all the Ruby and Rails syntax _when
it's in that scope_. And then it imports HTML's grammar on top of that
:)

I don't think your grammar will be hard. If you look in the langaugse
(Command-Opt-Ctrl-L) editor, you'll see you can either match lines to
a regex, or to a begin/end pair. You'll be able to simply modify some
HTML grammar to make it match <foo: thing> and </foo: thing> as a
highlighting pair.

One thing: stick to using default scopes wherever possible - this will
mean that your syntax highlighting is dependent on a user's colour
settings and not special stuff you've invented.

That might sounds complex; I hope not. I dove into writing a bundle
and found it not too hard once you get your head around it. The
examples built into the system are excellent, and I strongly suggest
checking them out.

At some point, I might write a straightforward guide to building
bundles for people trying to do simple things.

Let me know how you get on,

t.