[TxMt] Re: Things that keep me from switching to TextMate

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Sun Aug 6 17:06:40 UTC 2006

Stefan Haller wrote:
> However, there are a couple of limitations that are important enough for
> me to keep me from switching.  In rough order of importance:
>
> - Function parser is line-based
 > - Loses insertion point when document is changed by another app

Nothing to be done about these two at the moment

> - Find has no "whole words only" option
>
>   I must be missing something here.  This seems like such as basic
>   feature of any serious text editor.

As was mentioned, use regular expressions and add \b

> - Undo is per-character
>
>   Typing sequences should be consolidated into a single undo step.
>   Doesn't anybody use undo for typing?  This is basically unusable in
>   TextMate.

You can add a customized key binding which does "undo:" several times.
See my [article][1] about the text system for how to set up key bindings.

[1]: http://hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/site/cocoa-text.html

> - Shift Left/Right should extend the selection to whole lines
>
>   I can't think of a single situation where you wouldn't want
 >   this.  BBEdit gets this right.

I use this all the time in column mode, but you're probably right that
in regular mode a whole line is usually desired.  Then again, it's not
really very hard to write your own macro or command that does this.

> - Remap keys for Shift Left/Right

You can write a macro for this

> - Control-RightArrow should jump by CamelCaps sub-words

You can write a macro for this too

-Jacob