[TxMt] File Tab "~" : Bug? Feature?

Steven Loe stevenloe5000 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 22:43:09 UTC 2006

Today while using TextMate 1.5.2 to edit a .as file in my project, I noticed
that the the file name in the file tab ended with a tilde (~).

I also noticed that the edits that I was making to my text file were no longer
"taking". That is, I could edit text, save the file, but the edits would have
no effect... as if they had never been made. Frustrating.

I closed the file, re-opened and now TextMate (and my edits) are back to
normal. The edits I had made to the file were gone, but I was able to get back
to work and re-enter my edits.

What is the significance does the tilde at the end of the filname in the file
tab have?  Is this a feature? or a bug?

thanks very much,

Steven
osx 10.4.7