[TxMt] Multiple simultaneous arbitrary caret locations (with optional highlighting)

Duane Johnson duane.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 22:43:58 UTC 2006

So I bounced this idea off of Soryu and it seems this hasn't been
discussed much.  What if you could add multiple carets to the current
document by command-clicking?  I imaging this to work in a way almost
identical to that of the current snippet mechanism.  For example:
choose three caret locations, start typing, and in each location your
text will show up.  Press tab and the caret will focus in on the
second of the two locations, highlighting the newly typed text (if
any).  Tab again and it moves to the third.

It would also be ideal to be able to highlight multiple selections in
the same way--kind of like a powerful replace mechanism.  Command-
click and select three words in the document, then type one new word,
and incrementally, all three words change to the new one.

Has this been discussed before?  It seems plausible given the
powerful way we can already "insert as snippet" to the document.