[TxMt] discoverability, activation and scaling

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Fri Apr 21 16:16:38 UTC 2006

On Apr 21, 2006, at 10:53 AM, thomas Aylott wrote:

> Are there currently any commands that are only available once you
> set an environment variable? I'd like to use them if there are. How
> would I find out about them?

No one is suggesting separate commands for FileMerge that magically
appear when you set an environment variable.

My suggestion was to use a standard Mac idiom (modifier key) for
switching between alternative functionality, since you indicated that
you'd sometimes want to use FileMerge for diff and sometimes standard
svn diff. (I fully stipulate your point about discoverability. I know
this is not discoverable, although it would be documented in the help
file.) On second thought, though, it would probably end up triggering
some other command, so never mind.

I don't think my concern about menu length is an invalid one. You're
proposing adding five new Diff commands, assuming you replicate each
of the existing commands, to what is already one of the longest
command menus in TextMate.

When Allan provides a UI for grouping and enabling subsets of bundle
commands, a separate set of commands will be great. Meanwhile, I'm
not sure it's a good idea.

Chris