[TxMt] Rev961 scope change

Oliver Taylor oliver at ollieman.net
Wed Apr 12 22:14:30 UTC 2006

This is a more detailed explanation of how the scope selector change
in rev961 has effected me, and how it will effect you.

say you have this example:

name = 'meta.test.comment';
match = '^\s\*\s.*';

and when you press return you want to insert a newline, space, and
asterisk to continue the comment (or whatever). A common snippet.

With the change in rev961 it is now necessary for the match string to be:

name = 'meta.test.comment';
match = '^\s\*\s.*\s*';

notice the "white-space character any number of times". This may be
obvious to more experienced programmers but to someone like me I had
forgotten that the '.*' search doesn't include newline characters. And
the previous version of TextMate was forgiving in this regard.

So I guess the change is a good thing. But I foresee lots of snippets
and macros breaking in not-so-great-coded languages because of this.

Just a heads up to you guys, check your code.