[TxMt] MultiMarkdown in TextMate

Brad Miller bonelake at mac.com
Wed Apr 12 21:12:19 UTC 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 2:45 PM, Mark Eli Kalderon wrote:

> On 12 Apr 2006, at 20:02, Brad Miller wrote:
>
>> When the document is in MultiMarkdown mode ctrl-shift-m tries to
>> run the command 'convert to markdown.'  Not preview in browser.
>> Now that I look at it carefully I'm not sure who wrote that
>> command or what it is supposed to do.  MultiMarkdown does not
>> include a file called markdown.xsl as far as I can tell.
>>
>> ??Anyone??
>>

> Dear Brad,
>
> markdown.xsl[1] converts xhtml to markdown syntax. The comments:
>
>> # This command works well when you use the TextMate service from a
>> # web-log editor like Ecto or MarsEdit.  You can write in markdown
>> # and then convert back to html before save and close.
>
> provide the rationale for both the Convert to html and Convert to
> markdown commands. Not my usage case, but there are other
> legitimate uses for this, I think---if you wanted to feed an xhtml
> doc into your markdown based workflow, say.
>
> All the best, Mark

Thanks Mark,

After I sent the email I did some more investigating and I actually
added that command to my original bundle experimentally.  I could
never get it to work, and in the meantime the markdown.xsl file was
lost in the shuffle.

In looking at it again this afternoon I can get the command to work
under the following conditions:

1. remove the -novalid and -nonet command line arguments to xsltproc
2. feed the command a valid xhtml document

Without that, the html in the document just disappears.

Is this a useful command to keep around?  You can also get the same
functionality from the Humane Text service.

Brad