[TxMt] MultiMarkdown in TextMate

Brad Miller bonelake at mac.com
Wed Apr 12 19:02:43 UTC 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 12:31 PM, Oliver Hagmann wrote:

> Fellow TextMates
>
> Thanks to Brad for the MMD bundle. I noticed some problems while
> using it:
>
> 1) I have problems using german umlauts like ä, ö, ü, etc. when
> converting a Markdown document to PDF or HTML. All I get is some
> strange character sequences where the umlauts should be. And yes, I
> use UTF8 for my documents.
Are you talking about the HTML source or what appears in the browser
or preview window??
I can see that htmldoc gets confused and generates some weird pdf but
html seems fine in the tests I've tried.

> 2) If I use the shortcut for "Preview in Browser" ctrl-shift-M
> while using Multimarkdown as the document language, I get the
> following error:
>
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Library/Application%
> 20Support/TextMate/Bundles/Markdown.tmbundle/Support/markdown.xsl"
> cannot parse /Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/
> Markdown.tmbundle/Support/markdown.xsl
When the document is in MultiMarkdown mode ctrl-shift-m tries to run
the command 'convert to markdown.'  Not preview in browser.  Now that
I look at it carefully I'm not sure who wrote that command or what it
is supposed to do.  MultiMarkdown does not include a file called
markdown.xsl as far as I can tell.

??Anyone??

That aside we should probably have a consistent shortcut for preview
that works for Markdown and MultiMarkdown

> Funny thing is: It works if I select "Preview in Browser" from the
> menu in the status bar. The shortcut works while using Markdown as
> the document language though. Why are there two different languages
> anyway? Is there a difference between the syntax of Markdown and
> Multimarkdown?
MultiMarkdown includes syntax for creating tables, and the creation
of full documents.  Markdown alone is designed to generate shorter
snippets of html that are included as part of a page created by a
blogging system or wiki and therefore does not create a full html
page.  Using the directive
Format: complete
at the top of a multimarkdown document causes multimarkdown  to
generate a complete xhtml document.  Staring with this complete xhtml
document multimarkdown can then produce other complete documents,
like LaTeX articles, or rtf documents.

> 3) If I use ctrl-shift-L, a html link get's inserted instead of
> converting it to Latex while using Markdown as language. It works
> while using MMDown as the language. (So this might be a problem of
> the Markdown bundle. Or is this expected behaviour?)

You can't convert markdown to Latex for the reasons I mentioned
above.  So it is the expected behavior although once again we have
shortcuts doing very different things with only subtle differences in
the scope of the document.

Hope that helps clear up a few questions....

Brad