[TxMt] MultiMarkdown in TextMate

Dr. Drang drdrang at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 18:24:50 UTC 2006

TeXdown looks interesting, but it has two characteristics that I want
to avoid:

1. It creates HTML only.
2. It uses uses image files for the equations, which do not scale.

MultiMarkdown eliminates the first by allowing an XSLT transformation
to LaTeX (MultiMarkdown.pl doesn't do this, but the MultiMarkdown
system does). My additions to MultiMarkdown create <math> tags that
can be processed in one of two ways:

1. Into LaTeX through the XSL files.
2. Into reasonably good-looking web pages through [jsMath][1].

jsMath is a pretty amazing rewrite of the TeX/LaTeX equation-handling
code into JavaScript, which moves the characters into position. With
jsMath, the size of an equation scales with the font size of the
page, a great thing for those of us with failing eyesight.

Similar to jsMath is [ASCIIMathML][2], which takes TeX-like equations
and turns them into MathML. Pretty nice if you're using a MathML-
aware browser (Firefox), but not so good for us Safari users.

One very good thing about TeXdown is that it's implemented as a pre-
filter. I may change my MultiMarkdown additions to that form, so I
don't have to try to keep up with Fletcher Penney's development pace.
I remember starting my work as a pre-filter, but can't remember why I
decided to edit Fletcher's code directly. Memory, like eyesight,
fades quickly in middle-age.

[1]: http://www.math.union.edu/locate/jsMath/
[2]: http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/asciimath.html

--