[TxMt] Theme creation tools, wishlist

thomas Aylott thomas.42 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:28:23 UTC 2006

> That's what I am using for a start (Brilliance Black). I just got
> confused by Allan's comment on the cool highlighting for mails
> since BB does not really color quotes in emails.
I'll fix that!

> Nevertheless are Thomas's themes by far the most complete out there
> -- its just that it seems so difficult to create a theme that works
> for all; scope names etc. are very different, can always change and
> somehow it seems every user of Textmate has different requirements
> making it very difficult to start such a thing at all; Kudos to
> Thomas for actually making these “omnipotent” themes.
Thanks much much!

The Brilliance series was not too easy. I think I spend about 12-15
hours on them so far. Probably more.
(I'll send you the bill later, Allan ;)

There is a lot of divergence in scope naming among and between
languages and bundles.
It gets even more confusing when you have a language like HTML that
can include every other language in the same file. It took quite a
bit of tweaking to make sure all this stuff doesn't look like total
carp together.

That's why I chose to style HTML so blandly in Brilliance. The xHTML
Strict language is much more colorful.

I had been planning on slowly helping the various languages and
themes correct their confusing and inconsistent cope usage. But I
just don't have the time these days.

The Brilliance themes should just need you to change the colors and
not worry about the scopes.
That was the intention, anyway.

I'm going to come out with a blank slate theme soon. Brilliance Gray.
Where everything is just a shade of gray. That would make it easier
to color, maybe.  What do you think?

thomas Aylott—subtleGradient—oblivious at subtleGradient.com