[TxMt] Managing change in default bundles

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Wed Apr 5 20:18:47 UTC 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 4:48 AM, Daniel Käsmayr wrote:

> I guess the most sensible approach to do such things is to create a
> new bundle and override the stuff in the "old" = "original" bundle.
> For example: when you have a better version of a snippet you can
> just move the snippet from the old bundle to your new one, keep its
> scope selector and keyboard shortcuts etc. And then change it. When
> you update TextMate and/or when you update from the subversion
> Bundle repository you will get new versions… which then collide and
> whenever you access that command/keystroke it will give you the
> popup menu -- so you will know there might be changes in the
> original bundle; but you can also have multiple versions of a
> command or snippet around this way.

I'm a bit confused about how this would work. Let's say I want to
tweak the Run Script command in the Python bundle. Is the following
scenario correct?

1. Select the Run Script command in the Bundle Editor and hit the ++
button to duplicate it
2. Tweak the source of the command as needed
3. There is now a conflict between the new and old commands, so
change the shortcut of the old command to something else

At this point, I've got my tweaked command doing what the original
used to do, and the original is still there, sitting in the background.

But what happens when I upgrade TextMate and there is a new version
of Run Script? Does TextMate replace my original one (which still has
the same name, only a different shortcut)? If so, then perhaps that
means I can simply delete the original after making a copy for my own
use. That should work, as long as I make sure the name of my tweaked
command is different from the old one, right?

Trevor