[TxMt] Remote filesystems (was: Remote projects)

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Fri Sep 23 20:28:32 UTC 2005

On Sep 23, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Gerd Knops wrote:

> The problem is that the OS X VFS implementation seems to be rather
> under-documented and auite the moving target [5]. It changed a lot
> for Tiger. It has developed independent from  FreeBSD, so porting
> the FreeBSD Fuse driver is not at all trivial (lack of
> documentation again not helping).

> The ftpfs [2] on OS X uses yet another approach: It presents itself
> to the OS as an NFS server, and translates NFS to FTP. This may
> seem like a convoluted approach (and it is), but has the advantage
> that it can be completely implemented in user space, and the NFS
> protocol encapsulates it from changes in the kernels VFS
> implementation.

> [5] http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1242.html

Erm, I'd like to point out that, as [5] mentions, in Tiger VFS's are
now fairly well insulated from Kernel changes, and if I remember WWDC
correctly, the Kernel changes in 10.4 should make things like VFS's a
lot more forward-compatible. So it really isn't so much the moving
target anymore.

--
Kevin Ballard
kevin at sb.org