[TxMt] TextMate performance on large projects

Brad Choate brad at bradchoate.com
Thu Sep 22 00:49:46 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm new to the list, so pardon me if this has been asked and answered
already, but a cursory review of the archives didn't yield anything.

I've got a TextMate project file that covers a directory that has a
couple thousand files in it. Now, I don't necessarily need to edit
all these files, but they're in the tree, and I didn't think adding
the parent directory of that tree to the project would have any ill
effects.  But, TextMate seems to be affected by this, since upon
opening this project, it consumes 100 MB of RAM. And, every time
focus is taken and restored to TextMate, I get to watch the beach
ball for 10-20 seconds (I assume so it can review the filesystem to
see if anything needs to be updated).

Are these known performance issues? Is there anything I can do about
it? I've tried setting up a project that only contains the
directories of files that I actually need to edit and it seems to be
much happier with that. But honestly, is there any reason why it
should be so slow with large projects?

Thanks,
Brad