[TxMt] Remote projects

Sean Schertell sean at datafly.net
Wed Sep 21 03:29:43 UTC 2005

Why not rsync?

I would personally *love* to see rsync built-in to textmate behind
the scenes (using ssh of course).  So my local project could be
'synced' in both directions to the remote project with a single
click.  This would also solve Matthew's issue with the client making
occasional updates too.

I'm not a Cocoa developer at all but I'm guessing that adding such a
feature to TextMate would be fairly trivial since rsync is already
available in OS X.

Wouldn't it be possible to just add a few fields to the project for
remote document root, username, and password?  Then right in the main
toolbar there could just be a single button called 'Sync'. Click -
bang - everything is fresh in both directions.  Since rsync only
updates changes, it would be very quick.

If textmate had this ability (and could also do Japanese), I would
gladly pay $200 for it.  Seriously.  It's just such a waste of time
to have to launch an FTP client, connect to the server, drill down to
the file on the local side, then drill down to the directory on the
remote side, then upload -- all that just to update the remote css
file or whatever.  Rsync to the rescue?!

:-)

Sean