[TxMt] bug: auto complete in overwrite mode does insertion

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Sep 19 13:17:21 UTC 2005

On 19/09/2005, at 14.46, Gavin Kistner wrote:

>> I agree... and what is overwrite mode good for anyway, by the
>> way? :-p.
> ASCII diagrams or anal-retentive-attention-to-cosmetic-formatting
> are the only cases I've ever used it for. The only sort of case
> where I can imagine combining overwrite mode with auto-complete
> would be a case like this: [...]

Yes, it's rare, but very nice when data is in columns and you need to
edit one, or sometimes when you duplicate a print statement, and want
to overwrite the leading part, but keep the padding so that the
trailing stuff is at the same position (a tad like columns, and a tad
like the comment example).

Autocomplete should overwrite while in overwrite mode (and so should
paste really, though I wasn't sure initially) -- that said, I can't
give any ETA on these things, but I may look at it later today.