[TxMt] os forking doesn't work from a TextMate command?

Kumar McMillan kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 15:31:21 UTC 2005

Does anyone have an idea why using Python's os.fork() to start a
daemon process from within TextMate doesn't work?  Why would I want to
do this, you ask?  It seems the most logical way to browse local
Python documentation (via pydoc).  The doc commands that already exist
are great if you know exactly what you're looking for, but I still
find myself starting up the doc server every now and again to go
poking around.  My thought was to run a command "Browse Python
Documentation" or whatever from TextMate that opens a web browser to
the local server.  If the server isn't running then it needs to start
lazily.  This works great from the shell.  From within TextMate the
server starts fine but the process doesn't appear to be properly
forked because TextMate just hangs like it's waiting.  The script is
attached for reference.