[TxMt] Japanese Input

Yuhei Kuratomi yuhei at pop21.odn.ne.jp
Mon Sep 12 12:39:17 UTC 2005

Actually there are two issues involved in this problem and both
cannot be solved by changing character encodings.

1. I cannot input Japanese characters.
2. Japanese characters are rendered overlapped.

In both cases, 'Japanese' can be replaced with 'Chinese' or other
asian languages.

First thing is that TextMate doesn't handle Japanese inputs. As
Masaki says, TextMate needs to be a TSM client. This would require a
lots of extra codes to implement.

Second thing is due to the way how TextMate recognizes character
width and it could happen even if only ASCII characters are used.
Current implementation of TextMate assumes that every fonts have
fixed width. Although I can choose proportional fonts, they are not
rendered correctly. Spaces between characters are sometimes too wide
and sometimes too narrow. Ranges of Japanese characters are wider
than that of ASCII characters and that results in overlapped renderings.

Solving these issues must be a hard work and maybe Allan wants to
concentrate on other TODOs rather than multilingualizations.  I'm
very glad if TextMate supports Japanese and I hope it realizes in the
future but I think it is not the time yet.

Anyway, supporting Japanese means supporting other asian languages
except translating GUIs too and that must be a good chance for TextMate.

Thanks, Yuhei.