[TxMt] Chunked undo, Language, overall slowness

Sune Foldager cryo at cyanite.org
Sun Sep 4 22:22:42 UTC 2005

On 04/09/2005, at 23.10, Steve Weintraub wrote:

> I've never even encountered this type of keystroke-level undo until
> TextMate, and I find it slows me down considerably. Please make
> chunks a preference!

Well it would have to be implemented before it can be made a
preference! :-p. It's on TODO I know.

> Re: slowdown, I read about something involving the caching, and I
> did flip a defaults write, so app switching does seem a bit
> better..but tab-to-tab is really sluggish, and I'm on a dual 2 G5.
> This is just a text editor, I can't imaging what's happing behind
> the scenes that causes this.

Well, we are only human. There is a lot of parsing and layout and not
to mention text layout (using ATSUI), which is actually quite slow on
Mac. TextEdit and NSTextView in general have tons of optimizations in
their code to cope with this. TextMate also does a good deal of
caching here.

-- Sune.