[TxMt] Trouble with editing remote files

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Sep 1 11:29:42 UTC 2005

On 30/08/2005, at 22.15, Matt M wrote:

> Now I keep having to type in my admin password
> everytime I've been editing a file for a good amount
> of time. This is getting kind've annoying and can't
> seem to solve the problem with keychain. Is there any
> ideas you guys might have so I don't have to keep
> typing in my admin password to write to remote files?

Just to be sure, the files on the mounted drive aren't writable by
your normal user, so TextMate requesting admin rights is not a bug?

You can grant TextMate permanent access to save files for which the
user hasn't got the right by editing /etc/authorization -- this file
should contain all the information about doing so.

The right you need to alter (add) is (as can be seen in the
authorization requester)
com.macromates.textmate.openfile.readwritecreate.

You may instead just want to add a rule for this right with a timeout
of a few hours (I think the default timeout is 15 minutes), rather
than always grant it.

Please also be careful when editing /etc/authorization (make a
backup), since it's used at system startup time, so a corrupt file
may break startup (happened for me once, where I then had to boot
into single user mode and fix the file).