[TxMt] TmCodeBrowser2 plugin!

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Oct 26 01:29:12 UTC 2005

On 25/10/2005, at 17.50, Gerd Knops wrote:

> Eventually I hope to hook into the Syntax Coloring engine, so any
> language TM knows would work.

Well, one of the reasons I haven't made a popup yet is, that the TM
syntax coloring engine isn't really sufficient for all languages.
I.e. there's no way it can capture obj-c multi-argument methods as
one entity (since they are not that in the source), and coming up
with rules to make it parse C++ functions is also all but simple (if
not impossible).

So while it has the advantage of not repeating everything for the
function popup/code browser, and supporting mixed documents (HTML
with embedded CSS, JS, Ruby, PHP, etc.), it's not really working for
the two languages I primarely use.

It also fails to capture source structure (scoping), so it wouldn't
be able to show e.g. class methods, inner/local/anonymous classes
under the class etc.

And great work making your ctags implementation work with TM! I'm
curious, do you get by alone by NSWindow notification and querying
representedFile? I'd think the tab-switching would require a little
more than that!?!

I can easily add (i.e. next build) that TM e.g. loads extensions from
AppSupport/TextMate/Plugins — it seems for your “plugin” it wouldn't
need to expose any API, thus it's a safe way to slowly extend TM to
support plugins (my conservatism is primarily caused by the fear of
having to maintain a stupid legacy API for all eternity, that and
lack of time of course).