[TxMt] Automatic download issue.

Josh Carter josh at multipart-mixed.com
Fri Oct 21 15:32:51 UTC 2005

Allan,

I'm a newbie TextMate user, and just did the first version update
this morning. I have to say, even the previous behavior is
disconcerting: I get a dialog saying there's a new version to update
to, but no further detail. No list of changes, no button that would
take me to a list of changes, and no assurance that the update is
authentic. That's enough to make me not use the auto-update feature,
but I do still like the notification that there's a new version.

But the other issue is: it's a text editor. I don't want my text
editor going off and downloading updates on its own accord. I don't
want *any* of my software downloading updates on its own accord, but
especially not the stuff that's supposed to be reasonably lightweight.

Just my $.02 on that issue. FWIW, I'm loving TextMate. It's the most
innovative editor I've seen since emacs, and it might be enough to
make me actually switch away from my old-skool unix roots. :)
Certainly it's the first that's genuinely impressed me, and made me
set aside some money for when the demo period expires.

Best regards,
Josh