[TxMt] Tabbed Interface Observations

Edmundo Ortega ed at westernfreight.com
Sat Oct 15 21:14:26 UTC 2005

This issue is dear to my heart and has been discussed both in this
list and on the wiki:

http://macromates.com/wiki/pmwiki?n=Suggestions.TabsVersusPullDownMenu

I think that the last sensible conclusion was that there are two
kinds of users:

1. The kind that close tabs when they are done with them.
2. The kind that don't.

If you are 1) then you don't currently have a problem.

If you are 2) (like me) then there you will have issues with the
current tab bar. I think the point of the tab bar is to keep a
manageable number of files within easy reach. This typically means
that you're working on a small subset of your project (e.g. one that
fits in the tab bar). What's the point of having tabs if you have 50
of them? That's what the project drawer is for.

One thing that somebody in the list suggested was to make adding new
tabs an option (like safari). This way, when you click on a project
in the drawer, you would have your first tab be that file. If you
click on another file, then that file will occupy that first tab.

If you have some special key (SHIFT-OPT-Click or something) then you
can add the file as a tab. This is very similar to how Safari
behaves. Safari doesn't automatically add every page you look at into
a new tab, but allows you to decide which pages you want in a new
tab. The first tab is reserved for the current non-tabbed page.

I think that Allan has this slated for version 3.4 or something. I've
let it go, and since I'm not organized to close tabs after myself, I
pretty much just don't use the tab bar anymore - relying instead on
cmd-T and the project drawer.

Your suggestion could fit into this scheme and are certainly worthy
of discussion.

Ed