[TxMt] Encoding problem

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Oct 14 21:08:10 UTC 2005

On 14/10/2005, at 22.58, Ed Wong wrote:

> In my case I do have all 3 conditions you specified above and when
> reopened
> it doesn't show the accented characters properly. [...]

Okay -- then it's just not guessing the correct encoding.

> [...] So even if I save a file using an
> encoding like Latin1 and specify that files will use Latin1 in
> Preferences
> and should apply to existing file, it will open the file as ASCII?

It doesn't use the preference setting for opening files, only when
saving.

So if the file is ASCII, it's opened as such, if it's UTF-8, then
that's what it gets opened as. If it's neither, it uses a heuristic
to try and figure out the proper encoding.