[TxMt] Invoke TM automatically from LaTeX error

Thomas Schröder schlumpf at mac.com
Mon Oct 10 10:56:41 UTC 2005

Hi everybody,

It took me a little while to come up with this, what with finding the
correct command and environment variable etc.,  so I figured that I
might as well share it here. When you compile something with TeX or
LaTeX in Terminal.app instead of say TeXShop or our favourite editor
and an error message like this pops up

-----------

! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>
                 $
l.7

?

----------

you can enter 'e' to edit that file and correct the error. The
problem on a vanilla TeX installation is that the vi editor is used
for this. To use TextMate instead you can put this command in
your .tcshrc

setenv TEXEDIT "mate -w -l %d %s"

and on entering 'e' TextMate will be launched and the caret will be
placed on the line where the error occured. For the bash shell the
above command would be

export TEXEDIT="mate -w -l %d %s"

I hope you'll find this useful, I certainly do :-)

     Bye, Thomas