[TxMt] Remote editing via ssh peer review.

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Mon Oct 10 08:27:00 UTC 2005

I agree that using rsync will make it more usable, since it is often
that you're working on more than one file and you don't want to go
through the hassle of locating each one that needs to be uploaded.

However, I'm in a position where the system administration of the server
where I can keep files do not support SSH keys. They have the strict
attitude that it is not safe to have passwords in files[1].
So I need a way to feed the password to the command before it fires up
and I don't really want to hardcode this into a command. Does anyone
know of a nice way of using a dialog to get the password and feed it to
the command when needed ?

Jeroen.

[1]: In the case of stupid users who don't use a passphrase and are
pretty careless with files, I can agree with their point. However, my
opinion is that SSH Keys are inherently not less secure than passwords
or easier to lose. But I've been unsuccesful yet in convincing them of
this fact.