[TxMt] Ditch the drawer

chris feldmann cfeldmann at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 16:47:31 UTC 2005

On 11/23/05, Jack Baty <jbaty at fusionary.com> wrote:

> On 11/23/05, Indranil Dasgupta <indranil at troidus.com> wrote:
> > I love the drawer. It makes my life a lot easier. I can easily check
> > out names and such things through it.
> > And, if it was integrated, like iTunes or Mail, wouldn't it again eat
> > up space. I think it's more of a personal preference.
>
> One more thing about drawers in general is that I tend to click on
> open drawers accidentally, mistaking them for another window I'm
> trying to bring forward. The drop shadows and different (vertical)
> sizes of drawers create yet another visual layer; adding to the
> general "clutter" of my desktop.
>
> That said, I'm trying to get the hang of using cmd-t more frequently,
> which would reduce my reliance upon the drawer. I freakin' love
> TextMate.

I can't let this go by without a word of support for the drawer, which,
similar to the case of the poster above, was one of the features that wowed
me watching the rails video and sent me to Google to find out what that
beautiful damn editor was. The ability to see, at a glance, a complex
directory structure is to me a feature, and, even after a couple scant
weeks, a nearly indispensable one. All the other features (deep
programability and such) are just gravy, which is to say, a delightful,
unexpected bonus. Finally I don't have to install quanta under fink, which
never worked that well for me anyway.