[TxMt] Ditch the drawer

Colin D. Devroe cdevroe at theubergeeks.net
Wed Nov 23 14:12:26 UTC 2005

CMD+T for me brings up the "go to file menu" which is practically
useless when it loads in thousands of files in alphabetical order.
Not that it couldn't be used, but finding a file in a hierarchy is
much faster, for me, to the way I think.

When looking to open a file, I typically think of where it is in the
hierarchy rather than just the name.  Perhaps I simply need to adjust
the way I think, and do things, to make TextMate work for me better
in this particular regard.

On Nov 23, 2005, at 9:04 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 23/11/2005, at 14:52, Colin D. Devroe wrote:
>
>> [...] Perhaps this could be a preference?
>
> You can always edit the nib, but having it in the window does IMHO
> require different icons (i.e. some bar below the list a la Mail).
>
> I'm changing things slightly for 1.2, so I'm not adding any visual
> preferences before the stuff is set in stone -- also, in 1.2 I plan
> to let the difference between projects and single file only be the
> presence of the (to be more like a file-system browser) drawer. The
> drawer works much better for “toggling” such things.
>
> And with cmd-T, tabs, and possibly some enhancements wrt both of
> these, the drawer should very rarely be required to be called upon
> -- the thing Jack mentioned about having to resize the window after
> sliding away the drawer, that's something which could just be
> improved.

Thanks,
Colin D. Devroe

Personal: