[TxMt] Switching into Textmate with a project where files are remotely mounted is SLOW

Rick F. rickf at ca-flower.com
Wed Nov 16 16:55:47 UTC 2005

Hi all.. I've been developing a web-app using TextMate and just
recently decided to go and create a project (up to that time I've
just been browsing for the file(s) to edit directly).  Anyway,
I found that once the project was created and I imported my existing
files (>100-200 of them I'd guess) and opened perhaps 4-5 of them
in the same tabbed window that bringing TextMate into the foreground
caused a ~3-5 second delay while it was doing some sort of network
activity.. What I mean by bringing TextMate into the foreground is that
I've got it displayed on the screen, and I bring Safari into the
foreground so I can test an updated page.. I then switch back to TM
to edit something.. If this switch back and forth is <5-8 seconds, then
TM seems to be fine.. Anything longer seems to cause this long delay
before I can type or change tabbed windows,etc.

Interestingly enough, I can have these same 4-5 files open without the
project paradigm and not see these same delays..

I should also tell you that my file server is a Linux box being remotely
mounted via Samba (smb://) and that I've got the metadata disabled in TM.
This is all being done via 802.11b on a 667Mhz Powerbook if that helps..

I don't recall the version of TM I'm using -- it was automatically downloaded
for me about a week or so ago.  Any ideas on how to get rid of this delay
would be greatly appreciated..

-- Rick