[TxMt] Automagically figuring out tab size?

Graeme Mathieson mathie at woss.name
Wed Nov 16 07:21:27 UTC 2005

Hi,

I don't suppose it would be possible for Textmate to make an attempt
to 'guess' the tab size (and whether the file is using hard/soft
tabs) when a file is opened?  I often wind up editing other people's
code and, usually, they wind up using something other than 'soft
tabs: 2'.  So I regularly have to fiddle with the tab size to make
things match up nicely.

ISTR a previous editor I've used, WingIDE[1], having this feature,
and it was really handy...  And no, that's not an 'every other editor
does it' -- it's the only time I've seen that feature, but it was
really useful!

Oh, even better!  I'm looking at the code for Typo just now, and it's
not even consistent throughout the code!  In fact most of it is 'soft
tabs: 2', just views/articles/taglist.rhtml (the first one I happened
to want to edit) that's using hard tabs...

[1] http://www.wingware.com/
--
Mail: mathie at woss.name | Web: http://woss.name/
AIM:  Math1e           | PGP: 1024D/D72F2737