[TxMt] TextMate crashes and runaway bash processes (still)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Mon Nov 14 17:49:22 UTC 2005

On 14/11/2005, at 18.38, Kjell Olsen wrote:

> I've been having an issue (see below) with running any command from
> textmate: whenever I try, textmate seizes up and starts spawning
> unsuccessful processes.

Someone else had a similar problem: When running commands, TextMate
will source your /etc/profile, and then your ~/.bash_profile (if
there's none: ~/.bash_login, and if that's missing: ~/.profile).

This is to setup proper path. The problem that the other person had
was, that one of these files started a new bash shell, and since
BASH_ENV is setup for TM, that new bash will go through the same
procedure, so recursively starting new bash instances…

You can disable this by doing:

     touch "$HOME/Library/Application Support/TextMate/bash_init.sh"

Basically that'll just source that file instead of your normal /etc/
profile -- this is not the recommended, since you then won't get a
normal bash PATH (but you could set that up in the bash_init.sh).

The proper workaround would be to check the /etc/profile and
~/.bash_profile -- you're welcome to post these.