[TxMt] Automation UI suggestion: "replay last"

Paul Bissex paul.bissex at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:33:56 UTC 2005

I'd love to see three new items in the Automation submenus:

Replay Macro > Replay [name of last macro selected]
Insert Snippet -> Insert [name of last snippet selected]
Run Command -> Run [name of last command selected]

It's very common for me to have tasks where I dig out some obscure
command that I rarely use, use it repeatedly in a given session, and
then forget about it.

Keyboard shortcuts make sense for tasks that are done repeatedly --
either very often, or in repetitive bursts less often. This feature
would allow many seldom-used commands of the latter type to go without
permanent keyboard shortcuts, freeing up combos for more commonly used
commands. Obviously, these new menu choices themselves would need
keyboard shortcuts.

One subtle point: by "last * selected" I mean that this would apply
only to macros/snippets/commands manually chosen from the menus
(either the regular menus or the status bar menus). That way, other
keyboard commands wouldn't needlessly get picked up by this feature;
if you have invoked a macro/snippet/command via the keyboard, you
obviously don't need this feature to remember it.

I actually got this idea from Photoshop, which allows you to invoke
the last-used filter with cmd-F.

I love TM's combination of high power and low cruft. IMO this feature
would increase usability and at the same time decrease the need for
crazy five-key-mash keyboard shortcuts on obscure bundle features.

thanks for listening,

pb

--
Paul Bissex