[TxMt] Very nice

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Thu Nov 10 11:40:48 UTC 2005

On 10/11/2005, at 12.12, Andreas Wahlin wrote:

> It's a great thing, problem is though, it's somewhat slow (I
> suppose there's nothing to do about that) but when I constantly
> press an arrow key, it never updates.

It updates 1.5 seconds after last “change”. But it'll be instant for
non-mutating changes (when I add a cache for the extracted list of
symbols).

> I'd like to see encoding down there in the status bar as well, I
> don't really know why actually, but all other editors have it :)

See Erics recent reference to Hyatts “all other modern browsers” :)

There are two reasons why I don't want to put it there, despite it
being oft requested:

  1) people should use utf-8, especially with TM's tight shell
integration, this is important because the commands that need to work
on files (like svn diff, TODO, PyMate/RubyMate (showing script
output) etc.) can't possibly know about encodings, and utf-8 is the
only encoding which can be recognized with near certainty, and is the
only encoding which is ASCII compatible and can represent all
typeable characters.

  2) changing the encoding in TM is done _when saving_ -- that is,
TextMate uses unicode internally, but offers the capability to
*convert* this when saving the buffer, thus that choice should be
made in the save dialog (i.e. if I were to offer it in the status
bar, the proper thing to do would then also be to disallow typing of
characters not supported by the current encoding, but I really do not
feel like this, when utf-8 is the silver bullet, has been recommended
by IETF etc. for 7+ years, the iso-8859 people/committee I think have
stated that they no longer work on that set of encodings because of
utf-8 etc.).

The faster we phase out all legacy encodings, the better -- and I'm
playing an active role trying to promote utf-8 (despite this not
always being popular)!