[TxMt] Java support in TextMate

Brian Lalor blalor at bravo5.org
Wed Nov 9 12:39:39 UTC 2005

On Nov 8, 2005, at 5:03 PM, Soryu wrote:

> /me and Brian Lalor are currently working on the Java Syntax a bit.

As the original author of the Java syntax, I'm actually pretty happy
with it. :-)  I think the *syntax* is pretty solid, but a lot more
work could be done with commands, macros and snippets.  I added quite
a bit more syntactical sugar to the syntax yesterday (and I'm hoping
it doesn't make things too slow, but so far so good).  From my
perspective (and I haven't talked to Soryu about his goals yet), the
only thing missing is the listing of methods in the symbol pop-up.
I'm looking at a BNF description of the Java language right now and I
understand what needs to be done, but it makes for a fairly hairy
regexp.

Aside: can regexps be commented, like in PHP code?

> If one is new to a language on the other hand, a nice little editor
> and writing all the code from hand is a good way to learn the
> language, so one learns what he is doing instead of eclipse doing
> it for him.

I abhor IDEs in general.  They take too much focus away from the act
of writing code, in my opinion.  I've lost too much productivity by
having to resuscitate my development environment when something goes
screwy.  Incremental compilation and method lookup is grand; some
kind of method lookup would be fantastic in TM, but I fear it would
be a huge amount of work.  Javadoc in Safari does the trick nicely
for me.  :-)

I'm with Soryu: talk it up, folks!

--
    __   ____