[TxMt] Spell Checking

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Nov 4 03:22:13 UTC 2005

On 03/11/2005, at 19.42, Trevor Turk wrote:

> Is there a simple way to turn off "check spelling" for
> a particular document? You know, so that TextMate
> would remember it? I've got some scratch pads that get
> littered with re underlines, but I really like the
> spell checking in most cases.

It's only possible to toggle per language (file type).

I have the problem myself (liking spell checking, but having *.txt
files with lots of non-prose), so I'll consider what can be done to
set it on a file basis.

A kludge would be to create a new language grammar with something
like scopeName set to text.plain.not-prose and associate that with
your files, by e.g. naming them *.scratch -- that'd make it possible
to have a specific spell checking setting.

> Related question - is there any chance of getting a
> keyboard shortcut to toggle "Check Spelling as You
> Type"

I've made it option-cmd-;, which seems (sort of) consistent with
having cmd-; do “Check Spelling” (for Cocoa apps at least), and my
use of option-cmd to “toggle” a setting.