[TxMt] double-click word selection

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Nov 1 10:13:09 UTC 2005

On 01/11/2005, at 10.13, Shawn Van Ittersum wrote:

> When double-clicking the middle of a word and then pressing arrow
> left or right, the cursor does not start from the edges of the
> word, but instead from the double-click position.  This behavior is
> not consistent with NSTextView, or any Mac OS app I've ever used
> way back to System 6.

Is there a complaint/request buried in that statement?

TextMate has NSTextView as a role model, but it's not supposed to be
a carbon copy (that's the gerat thing about writing your own
software: you decide how it should work!).

Preserving the caret for word/line/paragraph/all selections is by
design and a feature I personally enjoy (mainly when accidentally
hitting cmd-A or similar, just doing arrow left/right to “undo” is
nice and IMHO intuitive).

Though my use of the feature is only in relation to keyboard
initiated unit selections. So if you wanted to request that the
feature was not there for mouse initiated selections, I can add it to
the list.