[TxMt] more encodings

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Fri May 27 22:25:07 UTC 2005

I've never had any problems with accented characters in UTF-8 on any gecko
browser (firefox for my main linux box, camino for mac) although I've never
tested PC browsers or Safari. Personally, I'd highly recommend that everyone
uses UTF-8, because after working on a project for internationalization,
I've realized that trying to detect and support even a few charsets is a
real pain in the you-know-where. iconv works really well at reencoding data,
so maybe give it a shot.

On 5/27/05, Sune Foldager <cryo at cyanite.org> wrote:

> On 27/05/2005, at 14.03, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
> > Of course if you leave out the encoding from the meta header, IE
> > can only use a heuristic or fall back to the default system
> > encoding. But that's certainly not an argument against utf-8! ;)
>
> Not at all.... but to be fair, I think Zoltan refers to font-
> changes, i.e. it displays and decodes the utf-8 alright, but it draws
> 'weird' characters from a (style-wise) visually different font. I
> don't see this in Safari. Don't know about the PC browsers.
>
> -- Sune.

--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com