[TxMt] opening .txt in TM

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at math.uchicago.edu
Fri May 27 04:53:31 UTC 2005

On May 26, 2005, at 11:35 PM, Tim Martens wrote:

> Charilaos, how do I go about having textmate launch text files that
> have no extension? The aforementioned procedure didn't work in this
> case. They still open in TextEdit.

Not sure, but why would you want to do that? If they are text files,
they should have extension .txt. There are lots of files that have no
extension and that are not text files, like all unix executables. I
don't think it's a good idea to associate textmate with all files with
no extension, even if it is possible, and I don't know if it is.
The above method indeed does not work in this case, possibly because
the file type is considered to be "????", i.e. there really is no type
for files with no extension. If you really think you should be allowed
to do this, file an enhancement request for Finder, but again, it's not
a good idea IMHO.

Haris