[TxMt] slow text rendering

Steve Lianoglou lists at arachnedesign.net
Fri May 13 20:03:50 UTC 2005

I've noticed this also ... I think there was a recent thread on it in this mailing list about this, but it could have been about something else since I wasn't following it very closely.

I'll add some more here, tho since it does make TextMate difficult to use at the moment ...

Specifically I notice then when the syntax highlight needs to:

* Change the background color of a block of text.
For instance, the new PHPBundle seems to change the bground of the phpblocks into a slightly off color than the rest of the (possibly html) page .. I'll see the background slowly change color as TM makes it's way down the length of the window processing/parsing the text to syntax-color it from top to bottom

* Also when text is set to be italic for some reason or the other (again , the php bundle, I think it does that for comments ...) .. rendering/typing is noticably slow.

I'm also primarily on an 867 G4, 1gig of ram, Panther.9 ...

I've switched over to jEdit for the meantime and kept quite since I was hoping/thinking it might just be an issue w/ the recent beta releases being 'unofficial' of sorts.

I reckon I could alleviate this by changing the syntax hilite to NOT do those things which I think makes it slow down, but I figured it's worth mentioning anyway.

regards,
-steve