[TxMt] font strongly smoothed in 1.1b8

Steve Lianoglou lists at arachnedesign.net
Fri May 13 01:31:01 UTC 2005

Yiasou,

I don't have tiger installed yet, but I think your issue looks like something discussed here:
http://www.subtraction.com/archives/2005/0502_tiger_blemis.php

You can read through that, this was the 'solution' post and the response by the original poster on how he got that solution to work.

SOLUTION:
I have a hunch as to what's causing it, but I could certainly be wrong.

Tiger has a new option under System Preferences > Appearance > Font Smoothing Style: Automatic. It also turns this option on by default. I wonder if what it is automatically choosing for your Powerbook is not what you are used to?
---

HOW IT WORKED FOR ORIGINAL POSTER:
Jeff Croft: You win the gold star. I went to the Appearance preference pane and changed Font Smoothing to "Standard - best for CRT." At first it didn't do anything, then I rebooted and now everything is elegant again. There are other settings too which I didn't fiddle with, "Light," "Medium - best for Flat Panel" and "Strong." I suspect that when it was on "Automatic" previously it was selecting "Medium." Anyway, in my experience all this stuff is subjective; everyone sees it differently. I actually know a friend who thinks that Windows' font smoothing approach -- ClearType, or whatever it is, I don't recall -- looks great. A real person!
---

Hope that helps,
-steve