[TxMt] document tabs redux / wish list

David Lee david at davelee.com.au
Thu Mar 31 16:44:19 UTC 2005

Hi Allen / all , here's an account of my opinion on what might be done
about tabs. A general wish list follows in no consistent order.

1) < and > arrows appear when more tabs are open than fit. You scroll
all the tabs left or right to see tabs offscreen. It scrolls one tab at
a time.

2) When you use the keyboard to move through open files, the
arrangement of tabs move to keep the currently open file's tab visible
at all times.

3) The drop-down list of offscreen tabs should stay.

4) Make people aware that you can hit ctrl-cmd-n to get a new project
window, drag the files you're currently working on in there and use the
project drawer to flip between them. I just extrapolated this from one
of Allen's other posts and it feels very promising.

Can we be able to 'open these tabs in new project' with a menu command
/ shortcut? It's not the perfect long term solution but will always be
useful whatever is.

4) A proper buffer list. Something very like 'Go To File' (which is
fantastic) but shows only open files (grouped by window if more than
one window is open.

Visual indication of files' status (whether saved, etc), and keyboard
shortcuts to close / save files would round it out nicely.

Maybe the immediate solution is to base this completely on the 'Go To
File' window; say Command-shift-T opens GTF constrained to files open
in tabs.

Maybe it's to run it in the project drawer (with modifier key or combo
to toggle). Or a drawer on the other side. The important things are
that its really fast & cosy to access and use, and TextMatey.

I think the buffer list could stand to evolve into something really
cool. Emac's & Vim's are useful as hell, and are arguably more
convenient than tabs most of the time.

5) What you said about making new tabs 'opt-in' like in safari

------

Oh yeah. I'm a split view junkie. Up-down, left-right, any combination.
Just the way nature intended.

I'd love to see a good regular expression composer (Komodo does this
superbly, Kdevelop well too).

And a lean keyboard-aware file manager to rival dired (but which looks
slightly more like NewsFire).

And a (breathtakingly innovative) way to interact with a terminal
inside TextMate.

And a well considered 'intellisense' implementation which can include
your own completion items (and later, those in included files) in heaps
of languages.

Better thought out (two way) clipboard history  / more emacs-like kill
ring.

'Numbered buffers' like Vi.

Multiple 'paste previous' / 'paste next' commands rewrite the last
ones' output (which can probably be hacked by leaving it selected after
each paste, but thats not ideal).

Keybindings to
- 'bounce' on braces / parens / quotes
- move cursor to start / end of current paragraph
- select current paragraph / function

Vi style commands like 63,72d  ... ;) (well this is a wishlist ..)

Hard wrap & manually prompted reflow.

A function / class browser.

Better print output (allow choice of different font for printing;
programmer fonts look terrible) & optionally include syntax
highlighting & line numbers.

cheers