[TxMt] Newbie questions

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Mar 31 01:34:32 UTC 2005

On Mar 30, 2005, at 22:08, Stephen Lanza wrote:

> To get started, I would appreciate it if you could let me know how to
> do a
> simple find and replace via the automation run command menus. A simple
> command to replace all carriage returns with tabs in the file being
> displayed would get me going.

Did you get the private reply I sent you about this? and if so, and you
didn't understand it, it might help if you'd point me to what you
didn't understand.

> Also, I work with files that have macintosh (carriage return), unix
> (new
> lines) and dos (carriage return, line feeds) in the data and do not
> want
> them converted automatically. Is this possible? I see on the save
> command
> that you can select one of three options but there is no option to
> leave the
> line endings unchanged.

By default it should use the setting that matches what the loaded file
contained. So if you open a file, edit it, and save it again (cmd-S) it
should preserve encoding and line endings (it may upgrade the encoding
to utf-8 if you use characters that cannot be represented in the
encoding).