[TxMt] document tabs

David Lee david at davelee.com.au
Sat Mar 26 12:48:43 UTC 2005

Double tab rows are a dud idea: agreed.

Allen wrote:
> For the rows of tabs, I'm afraid that this will look crappy (prove me
> wrong by sending a mockup ;) ), and I think with changed “open in tab”
> behavior (to make that an explicit request, like Safari, and then
> history per tab), having the tab bar overflow will happen less.

Sounds like a great idea.

> ... to have tabs that close themselves after you don't use them for a
> loooooong time.

I think that this and variations on this theme are well worth
investigation too. These are so central to TextMate's interface I think
it's worth considering from a few angles . Maybe (in any combination):

* An option to allow only as many open tabs as will fit in the (window
width | page width according to right margin line | whatever), closing
longest-untouched first if already saved.

* Ability to 'pin' tabs to stop them autoclosing.

* a 'buffer list' available in the sidebar (in place of tabs?). Hotkey
or modifier (option sounds sensible) toggles between this & project
window. I'd really like this ;)

By the way : Command-T is bitchin' . I gotta start using this more ..