FTP client (was .. RE: [TxMt] Re: Bare Bones [was: Public to-do list for TM (was: TextileBundle?)

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Mar 23 19:09:12 UTC 2005

On Mar 23, 2005, at 19:35, Jason Perkins wrote:

> I'm curious to see how Projects are going to evolve, specifically if
> you're using a third party (s)ftp client. Allan, do you have any plans
> for this?

The plan is to have the project drawer act as a file system browser
with a) additional sources  provided by plugins (one being ftp sites),
and b) the ability to show the contents of multiple sources at once
(i.e. using split views).

I want to move away from the monolithic *.tmproj file and the need to
explicitly create projects. So whether you're working with a project or
not is just a matter of having the drawer open or closed.

There will be a few issues with project meta-data, but for meta-data
relating to folder views, I'll keep this in the filesystem (as a hidden
file per folder, only when needed of course), and with regard to which
files are open in a window (i.e. the tabs) and which sources are shown
in the drawer, I intend to introduce workspaces.

A workspace is a snapshot of all windows currently open and their
state. By default it will just remember how you left it all when you
restart, but if you work on multiple projects you may want to
explicitly create new workspaces (for new projects) and switch
workspaces (when you need to switch to another project).

The downside with workspaces is that if you want to have two “projects”
open at the same time, you'd need to merge the two workspaces
representing the two projects. So I'm not fully settled on workspaces,
but I think it's the way to go!