FTP client (was .. RE: [TxMt] Re: Bare Bones [was: Public to-do list for TM (was: TextileBundle?)

David Lee david at davelee.com.au
Wed Mar 23 02:18:25 UTC 2005

Find as you type is indispensible, in everything. Wish Safari would do this
..

Some things which would be great in TM (one of these years) would be
- a good full cocoa FTP client built in(HAHA! I hear you laugh)

I think there's plenty of room for a nice simple working good cocoa FTP
client. Transmit almost gets it right except they use retardo views instead
of an expandable tree view (with graphical indication of which folders have
'known' contents).

- side by side graphical diff which can operate over ftp, a la the windows
program BeyondCompare. It's Really Really Useful.

See http://www.scootersoftware.com/moreinfo.php ;
http://www.scootersoftware.com/en/shot7w.png

Now - I think in discussing these I bring up a more interesting question
than "will you do x", and that is "What is your long term plan for extending
TextMate into the space of other applications ( ftp | graphical diff |
regexp wizard | etc)".

Is the intention to
A) keep TM a pure editor with a few extra features like edit-over-ftp
B) allow it to integrate with a few existing apps (standalone FTP clients)
C) write your own fantastic complementary programs which integrate really
well with TM
D) extend TM into something approaching an IDE by adding these to TM itself
E) ??

I'm quite curious. .. Scuse me if I should know / be able to infer this by
now.

Cheers